Monday, April 20, 2009

I finished...The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao


The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao
Junot Diaz
2007
Fiction

"As I'm sure you've guessed by now, I have a fuku story too. I wish I could say it was the best of the lot--fuku number one--but I can't. Mine aint't the scariest, the clearest, the most painful, or the most beautiful.

It just happens to be the one that's got its fingers around my throat." p6



"Before all hope died I used to have this stupid dream that shit could be saved, that we would be in bed together like the old times, with the fan on, the smoke from our weed drifting above us, and I'd finally try to say words that could have saved us.

---- ---- -----.

But before I can shape the vowels I wake up. My face is wet, and that's how you know it's never going to come true.

Never, ever." --Junior on his doomed relationship with Lola, the "ciguapa of [his] dreams" p. 327.


No comments:

Post a Comment