Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Eugene O'Neill



a moon for the misbegotten, by eugene o'neill

I tried reading The Iceman Cometh right after reading A Moon for the Misbegotten and then quickly skimming through Long Day's Journey into Night to refresh my memory (it has been years since I've read it last), but it just didn't work out. And then I watched the PBS documentary about the playwright, so that made me even more reluctant to read The Iceman Cometh so quickly. Eugene O'Neill's life was no pancake; some popular and re-occuring themes in his work are hopelessness, escapism through alcoholism, and inability or refusal to confront reality--of which culminate in these three plays, which are considered his masterpieces and happen to be semi-autobiographical as well and resound even more strongly of tragedy.

Anyway, reading three in the row is a bit too much for me. It's on my to-read list though.

No comments:

Post a Comment